Monday, April 27, 2009

Week 9-Social Networking

It took a long time, and quite a lot of energy exerted by my friends, but I finally succumbed to the beast that is Facebook. At first, I was over the moon about friend requests, profiles, and locating old friends, co-workers, camp pals, and the like. Now, I might check it every couple of days. I usually don't update my status, because I forget, or I don't have something pithy to say.

I do like it for making me feel connected to people that I don't get to see often. It's less effort than a regular email, which is less effort than a telephone call, which is less effort than a visit. I still prefer seeing people in person, and try to do so as much as possible. In that respect, I don't believe that social networking will take over my life.

For work, I know of many libraries that maintain a page for its patrons, or certain age groups. I feel that the jury is still out on whether this is beneficial for the library, or if this will be replaced by something else in the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment